Video: Dr. Jennifer Frankovich Discusses PANS/PANDAS
Post Infectious Inflammatory Brain Disorders and PANS/PANDAS:
A Conversation with Jennifer Frankovich, MD, MS
Clinical Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Allergy, Immunology Rheumatology at Stanford University/Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. Co-director of Stanford’s Immune Behavioral Health Clinic and a founding member of the PANS Research Consortium.
Hosted by Keith Moore, PANDAS Physicians Network, Director of Research
Click the arrow to begin playing the video.
PANDAS Physicians Network 2022
Discussion Topics Include:
✓ Is PANS auto-immune or more an inflammatory disorder
✓ What is the role of inflammation on neuropsychiatric symptoms
✓ What are potential immunogenic markers associated with PANS
✓ Research vs clinical treatment – classifying the acuteness of symptom onset
✓ Impact of COVID-19 on neuropsychiatric disorders
✓ Relevance of the microbiome and the gut-brain link
✓ Participation in the new PANS/PANDAS IVIG trial
✓ Building a biorepository and the need for healthy controls
- Murphy TK, Snider LA, Mutch PJ, Harden E, Zaytoun A, Edge PJ, Storch EA, Yang MC, Mann G, Goodman WK, Swedo SE. Relationship of movements and behaviors to Group A Streptococcus infections in elementary school children. Biol Psychiatry. 2007 Feb 1;61(3):279-84. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2006.08.031. Epub 2006 Nov 27. PMID: 17126304.
- Yaddanapudi, K., Hornig, M., Serge, R. et al. Passive transfer of streptococcus-induced antibodies reproduces behavioral disturbances in a mouse model of pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infection. Mol Psychiatry 15, 712–726 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1038/mp.2009.77
- Dileepan, T., Smith, E. D., Knowland, D., Hsu, M., Platt, M., Bittner-Eddy, P., Cohen, B., Southern, P., Latimer, E., Harley, E., Agalliu, D., & Cleary, P. P. (2016, January 4). Group A Streptococcus intranasal infection promotes CNS infiltration by streptococcal-specific Th17 cells. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. Retrieved February 14, 2022, from https://www.jci.org/articles/view/80792
- Platt, M. P., Bolding, K. A., Wayne, C. R., Chaudhry, S., Cutforth, T., Franks, K. M., & Agalliu, D. (2020, March 24). Th17 lymphocytes drive vascular and neuronal deficits in a mouse model of postinfectious autoimmune encephalitis. PNAS. Retrieved February 14, 2022, from https://www.pnas.org/content/117/12/6708
- Quagliariello A, Del Chierico F, Russo A, Reddel S, Conte G, Lopetuso LR, Ianiro G, Dallapiccola B, Cardona F, Gasbarrini A and Putignani L (2018) Gut Microbiota Profiling and Gut–Brain Crosstalk in Children Affected by Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome and Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated With Streptococcal Infections. Front. Microbiol. 9:675. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.00675.