The PPN Research Library is a comprehensive collection of published works related to PANDAS and PANS. The library includes the original published studies from the NIMH team that first reported on the PANDAS condition as well as the primary additional studies that followed. The library consists of a synopsis and critique of each study, as well as the link and reference for each study.
Antibodies From Children With PANDAS Bind Specifically to Striatal Cholinergic Interneurons and Alter Their Activity
“These findings provide strong evidence for striatal CINs as a critical cellular target that may contribute to pathophysiology in children with rapid-onset OCD symptoms, and perhaps in other conditions.”
Association of Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome With Microstructural Differences in Brain Regions Detected via Diffusion-Weighted Magnetic Resonance Imaging
“In this case-control study of 34 consecutive patients with pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome who had 3 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging, all assessed brain regions, particularly the deep gray matter (eg, the thalamus, basal ganglia, and amygdala), had statistically significantly increased mean diffusivity compared with 64 control participants.”
Focus on Cardiologic Findings in 30 Children With PANS/PANDAS: An Italian Single-Center Observational Study
Murciano M, Biancone DM, Capata G, et al. Focus on Cardiologic Findings in 30 Children With PANS/PANDAS: An Italian Single-Center Observational Study. Front Pediatr. 2019;7:395. Published 2019 Oct 1. doi:10.3389/fped.2019.00395
Differential binding of antibodies in PANDAS patients to cholinergic interneurons in the striatum, Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, Luciana R. Frick, Maximiliano Rapanelli, Kantiya Jindachomthong, Paul Grant, James F. Leckman, Susan Swedo, Kyle Williams, Christopher Pittenger,Available online 9 December 2017, ISSN 0889-1591, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2017.12.004.
Course of Neuropsychiatric Symptoms After Introduction and Removal of Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs: A Pediatric Observational Study
Spartz Ellen J., Freeman G. Mark Jr., Brown Kayla, Farhadian Bahare, Thienemann Margo, and Frankovich Jennifer. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. July 2017, ahead of print. https://doi.org/10.1089/cap.2016.0179
Effect of Early and Prophylactic Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs on Flare Duration in Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome: An Observational Study of Patients Followed by an Academic Community-Based Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome Clinic
Brown Kayla D., Farmer Cristan, Freeman G. Mark Jr., Spartz Ellen J., Farhadian Bahare, Thienemann Margo, and Frankovich Jennifer. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. July 2017, ahead of print. https://doi.org/10.1089/cap.2016.0193
PPN Research Library
The research library is organized by topic ranging from Clinical Presentation to Animal Models:.
- Clinical Presentation of PANDAS (and PANS)
- Relationship of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) to Sydenham Chorea (And Rheumatic Fever)
- Studies Of The Relationship Of Group A Strep (“GAS”) to OCD/PANDAS
- Laboratory Studies Of GABHS Serologic Markers
- Laboratory Studies of Cross-Reactive (Anti-GAS/Anti-Brain) Antibodies in Sydenham’s Chorea and PANDAS/PANS
- Animal Models of PANDAS
- Additional PANDAS Studies Including Treatment Trials
- Studies Of The Relationship of GABHS to Tic Disorders (Including Episodic Tic Disorders Labeled as PANDAS)
Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. July 2017
Overview of Treatment of Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome, Swedo Susan E., Frankovich Jennifer, and Murphy Tanya K.
Articles Addressing Clinical Management of PANS:
- Clinical Management of Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome: Part I–Psychiatric and Behavioral Interventions. Thienemann Margo, Murphy Tanya, Leckman James, Shaw Richard, Williams Kyle, Kapphahn Cynthia, Frankovich Jennifer, Geller Daniel, Bernstein Gail, Chang Kiki, Elia Josephine, and Swedo Susan.
- Clinical Management of Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome: Part II—Use of Immunomodulatory Therapies. Frankovich Jennifer, the PANS/PANDAS Consortium, et al.
- Clinical Management of Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome: Part III—Treatment and Prevention of Infections. Cooperstock Michael S., Swedo Susan E., Pasternack Mark S., Murphy Tanya K., and for the PANS PANDAS Consortium.
Special issue of Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. February 2015, 25(1)
Special Issue on Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome, Kiki Chang, Harold S Koplewicz, Ron Steingard
Consensus Statement :
Clinical Evaluation of Youth with Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS):Recommendations from the 2013 PANS Consensus Conference , Kiki Chang, Jennifer Frankovich, Michael Cooperstock, Madeleine W. Cunningham, M. Elizabeth Latimer, Tanya K. Murphy, Mark Pasternack, Margo Thienemann, Kyle Williams, Jolan Walter, Susan E. Swedo
- Characterization of the Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome Phenotype. Tanya K. Murphy, Priyal D. Patel, Joseph F. McGuire, Allison Kennel, P. Jane Mutch, E. Carla Parker-Athill, Camille E. Hanks, Adam B. Lewin, Eric A. Storch, Megan D. Toufexis, Gul H. Dadlani, Carina A. Rodriguez
- Clinical Presentation of Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections in Research and Community Settings. Susan E. Swedo, Jakob Seidlitz, Miro Kovacevic, M. Elizabeth Latimer, Rebecca Hommer, Lorraine Lougee, Paul Grant
- Five Youth with Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome of Differing Etiologies. Jennifer Frankovich, Margo Thienemann, Sonal Rana, Kiki Chang
- Multidisciplinary Clinic Dedicated to Treating Youth with Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome: Presenting Characteristics of the First 47 Consecutive Patients. Jennifer Frankovich, Margo Thienemann, Jennifer Pearlstein, Amber Crable, Kayla Brown, Kiki Chang
- Disordered Eating and Food Restrictions in Children with PANDAS/PANS. Megan D. Toufexis, Rebecca Hommer, Diana M. Gerardi, Paul Grant, Leah Rothschild, Precilla D’Souza, Kyle Williams, James Leckman, Susan E. Swedo, Tanya K. Murphy
- Cefdinir for Recent-Onset Pediatric Neuropsychiatric Disorders: A Pilot Randomized Trial . Tanya K. Murphy, E. Carla Parker-Athill, Adam B. Lewin, Eric A. Storch, P. Jane Mutch
- Use of Intravenous Immunoglobulin in the Treatment of Twelve Youths with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections. Miro Kovacevic, Paul Grant, Susan E. Swedo
- Therapeutic Plasma Apheresis as a Treatment for 35 Severely Ill Children and Adolescents with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections . M. Elizabeth Latimer, Nathan L’Etoile, Jakob Seidlitz, Susan E. Swedo
- Antineuronal Antibodies in a Heterogeneous Group of Youth and Young Adults with Tics and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Carol J. Cox, Amir J. Zuccolo, Erica V. Edwards, Adita Mascaro-Blanco, Kathy Alvarez, Julie Stoner, Kiki Chang, Madeleine W. Cunningham
- Cytokine Correlations in Youth with Tic Disorders free access. E. Carla Parker-Athill, Jared Ehrhart, Jun Tan, Tanya K. Murphy