The PPN Research Library is a comprehensive collection of published works related to PANDAS and PANS. The library includes the original published studies from the NIMH team that first reported on the PANDAS condition as well as the primary additional studies that followed. The library consists of a synopsis and critique of each study, as well as the link and reference for each study.
PANDAS IVIG Study Published
New IVIG study shows >60% mean reduction in symptoms for PANDAS patients.
A new paper submitted to the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry describes the outcome of the NIMH double-blind placebo controlled study of IVIG for treatment of symptoms in children who meet the criteria of PANDAS. While the study has many interesting findings, the most significant is that children who had prophylactic antibiotics followed by an open-label IVIG had a >60% mean reduction in CYBOCS score. These symptom improvements were sustained through follow up at 6 months.
PPN Research Library
The research library is organized by topic ranging from Clinical Presentation to Animal Models:.
- Clinical Presentation of PANDAS (and PANS)
- Relationship of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) to Sydenham Chorea (And Rheumatic Fever)
- Studies Of The Relationship Of Group A Strep (“GAS”) to OCD/PANDAS
- Laboratory Studies Of GABHS Serologic Markers
- Laboratory Studies of Cross-Reactive (Anti-GAS/Anti-Brain) Antibodies in Sydenham’s Chorea and PANDAS/PANS
- Animal Models of PANDAS
- Additional PANDAS Studies Including Treatment Trials
- Studies Of The Relationship of GABHS to Tic Disorders (Including Episodic Tic Disorders Labeled as PANDAS)
A Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study of Azithromycin in Youth with Acute-Onset Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder,
Murph,y TK et al, Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 2017 Mar 30. doi: 10.1089/cap.2016.0190. Read at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28358599.
Improvement of psychiatric symptoms in youth following resolution of sinusitis,
Mahony, Talia et al., International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology , Volume 92 , 38 – 44, January 2017. Read at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2016.10.034.
Group A Streptococcus intranasal infection promotes CNS infiltration by streptococcal-specific Th17 cells,
Thamotharampillai Dileepan, et al.Published December 14, 2015, J Clin Invest. 2015. doi:10.1172/JCI80792.
Special issue of Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. February 2015, 25(1)
Special Issue on Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome, Kiki Chang, Harold S Koplewicz, Ron Steingard
Consensus Statement :
Clinical Evaluation of Youth with Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS):
Recommendations from the 2013 PANS Consensus Conference , Kiki Chang, Jennifer Frankovich, Michael Cooperstock, Madeleine W. Cunningham, M. Elizabeth Latimer, Tanya K. Murphy, Mark Pasternack, Margo Thienemann, Kyle Williams, Jolan Walter, Susan E. Swedo
- Characterization of the Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome Phenotype. Tanya K. Murphy, Priyal D. Patel, Joseph F. McGuire, Allison Kennel, P. Jane Mutch, E. Carla Parker-Athill, Camille E. Hanks, Adam B. Lewin, Eric A. Storch, Megan D. Toufexis, Gul H. Dadlani, Carina A. Rodriguez
- Clinical Presentation of Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections in Research and Community Settings. Susan E. Swedo, Jakob Seidlitz, Miro Kovacevic, M. Elizabeth Latimer, Rebecca Hommer, Lorraine Lougee, Paul Grant
- Five Youth with Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome of Differing Etiologies. Jennifer Frankovich, Margo Thienemann, Sonal Rana, Kiki Chang
- Multidisciplinary Clinic Dedicated to Treating Youth with Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome: Presenting Characteristics of the First 47 Consecutive Patients. Jennifer Frankovich, Margo Thienemann, Jennifer Pearlstein, Amber Crable, Kayla Brown, Kiki Chang
- Disordered Eating and Food Restrictions in Children with PANDAS/PANS. Megan D. Toufexis, Rebecca Hommer, Diana M. Gerardi, Paul Grant, Leah Rothschild, Precilla D’Souza, Kyle Williams, James Leckman, Susan E. Swedo, Tanya K. Murphy
- Cefdinir for Recent-Onset Pediatric Neuropsychiatric Disorders: A Pilot Randomized Trial . Tanya K. Murphy, E. Carla Parker-Athill, Adam B. Lewin, Eric A. Storch, P. Jane Mutch
- Use of Intravenous Immunoglobulin in the Treatment of Twelve Youths with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections. Miro Kovacevic, Paul Grant, Susan E. Swedo
- Therapeutic Plasma Apheresis as a Treatment for 35 Severely Ill Children and Adolescents with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections . M. Elizabeth Latimer, Nathan L’Etoile, Jakob Seidlitz, Susan E. Swedo
- Antineuronal Antibodies in a Heterogeneous Group of Youth and Young Adults with Tics and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Carol J. Cox, Amir J. Zuccolo, Erica V. Edwards, Adita Mascaro-Blanco, Kathy Alvarez, Julie Stoner, Kiki Chang, Madeleine W. Cunningham
- Cytokine Correlations in Youth with Tic Disorders free access. E. Carla Parker-Athill, Jared Ehrhart, Jun Tan, Tanya K. Murphy