March 16, 2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a disease that causes respiratory illness in people and can spread from person to person. Symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. COVID-19 is a “novel” virus, which means the public does not have immunity to the virus (making it more likely that one will get sick if exposed), and health officials aren’t able to predict how the virus will behave over the coming months. Symptoms severity varies. At this time, we cannot to predict the impact of COVID-19 illnesses. As information becomes available from the medical and scientific community, we will update this website.
Whether you are a physician or a parent, we understand this is a difficult time, full of unknowns, and will let you know pertinent information when available. In the meantime, please check the CDC for updates.
The PANDAS Physicians Network (PPN) will continue to monitor COVID-19 and will post additional information and resources as appropriate. We also suggest parents of PANDAS/PANS children limit watching the news while their children are present so the news does not inadvertently feed into OCD related fears, contamination obsessions, etc. We understand this is a delicate balance.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- AAP Critical Updates on COVID-19
- Joint statement on the current epidemics of new Coronavirus From IPOPI, ESID, INGID, APSID, ARAPID, ASID, CIS, LASID, SEAPID
- AAP: COVID-19 less severe in children than adults: study
- COVID-19 and OCD
- PANS Diagnostic Guidelines
- PANS Treatment Guidelines